Better Homes & Gardens
Hot Cinnamon Cider
This warming spiced cider will be a family favorite on a winter day. Try swirling in some butter for a creamy accent.
Total cook time
- 8 cups apple cider or apple juice,
- 1 - 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar,
- Zest from 1 lemon, cut into strips,
- 6 inches stick cinnamon, broken,
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice,
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves,
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 10 slices (optional),
- Cinnamon sticks and/or apple slices (optional),
In a large saucepan, combine cider (or juice) and brown sugar. Place lemon zest, broken stick cinnamon, allspice and cloves in the center of a double-thick, 8-inch square of 100%-cotton cheesecloth. Bring up corners; tie closed with clean kitchen string. Add spice bag to cider mixture.
Bring just to simmering. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove and discard spice bag.
If desired, garnish each cup with butter, whole cinnamon sticks and/or apple slices.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.