Apple Bowls with Chicken Salad
Back to School never tasted so good! This recipe for Apple Bowls with Chicken Salad is sure to be a lunch the kiddos will LOVE. Don’t forget to drizzle some lemon juice over the apple to keep it from browning!
- 1/2 cup Open Nature® plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- 2 tsp O Organics® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp flavor ingredient (choose from lemon juice, mustard, pickle relish)
- 1/2 tsp salt free seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Garlic & Herb)
- 2 cups diced skinless boneless rotisserie chicken
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1/4 cup surprise ingredients (i.e. Signature Farms® dried cherries or dried cranberries) salt to taste (optional)
- 4 medium apples
- lemon juice (or other citrus juice)
- salt to taste (optional)
In medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, flavor ingredient (like lemon juice) and salt-free seasoning.
Stir in diced chicken, celery, toasted almonds and surprise ingredient (such as dried cherries or cranberries). Add salt, to taste, if desired.
Carefully trim the top ½-inch off a medium-sized apple with a knife, then set aside. Use a large spoon to scoop out the apple core and surrounding area, leaving about 1/3-inch of apple around the edges to make an edible apple bowl.
Drizzle some lemon juice around the top of the apple to keep it from browning. Fill the apple bowls with the chicken mixture and serve immediately or wrap well in plastic wrap or foil if packing them in a lunchbox. Keep the lunchbox cold with reusable cold pack.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.